A brief history of Holy Trinity
It was a lightning strike in the early 1840s that gave a handful of worshippers the chance of having a parish church of their own. Lightning destroyed Blades Mill and William Roy, the Rector of St Nicholas, Skirbeck, who had private means, seized the opportunity. The Spilsby Road area was part of his parish. In 1840 he had started things moving by having a room that was licensed for divine service. By 1849 the new parish church of Holy Trinity, on the site where the mill used to stand, was consecrated by the Bishop of Lincoln.
The architect was Sir George Gilbert Scott. He was the foremost church architect of the age and also had buildings such as St Pancras railway station to his credit. He gave Holy Trinity a neo-Gothic church seating 650.
William Roy’s foresight was recognised for what it was when bungalows and houses were built on both sides of the Spilsby Road. The new parish became an agreeable residential area.
A long-term influence in the parish has been Covenanters. This was started in 1949 by George Marchant, the Vicar at the time. It was designed for boys; George’s wife Eileen set up a similar group for girls. To this day there are Holy Trinity members who look back on Covenanters as a formative influence on their Christian faith. A strong youth element, with a succession of volunteer leaders, has also been a feature of Holy Trinity life and since 2000 there has been a full-time youth worker in post.
Other aspects of the Holy Trinity story include home-groups, mission and relief agency support, a flourishing Women’s Circle and numerous groups such as Mothers and Toddlers which originally met in the church hall built in 1974. Another building addition in 1987, the ‘lounge’, was added to the west end and this has been a fantastic asset, allowing much greater flexibility for things such as informal worship services, Alpha courses and the like, and a variety of social events.
Thus although when compared to some churches Trinity’s life has been relatively short, it has made a deep and lasting impression on the town and community, and there is no reason to suppose why this influence should not continue so long as the community of faith that makes up the church seeks to glorify God and helps build His Kingdom.