What is Alpha?
The Alpha Course is a series of interactive sessions where anyone can explore life and the Christian faith in a friendly, open and informal environment. The course is particularly suited to those who have completed Discipleship Explored as the next step in their journey, and equally so for people who would not describe themselves as Christians or church-goers. Everyone is welcome – if you’ve been before, then bring a friend!
Take a look…
How many weeks does it run for?
In our Trinity version of Alpha there are 12 sessions that each look at a different aspect of the Christian faith. After each video/talk, there is a time for discussion in small groups – a place where you can ask questions, delve into different issues and find out what others think.
On Alpha we try to be:
- REAL – Alpha presents the reality of who Jesus is. Our course leaders who run Alpha are real and authentic and this allows the guests to be real themselves. People are welcome to ask questions and look for answers, with no pressure to contribute and no follow up if they don’t come back.
- RELATIONAL – Alpha is based on genuine friendships that are built up over a few weeks and often last for years afterwards.
- RELIANT – On Alpha we are reliant on the Holy Spirit because we realise that it is only God who changes people’s lives; we just introduce Him.
The talks explore the big issues around faith and unpack the basics of Christianity. Probably the most important part is the chance to share thoughts and ideas on the topic, and simply discuss it in a small group. There’s no obligation to say anything and there’s nothing you can’t say (seriously). It’s an opportunity to hear from others and contribute your own perspective in an honest, friendly and open environment.
No one can force anyone to believe anything. What we’ve found over the years, with all of the Trinity courses, is that if we allow people to be themselves and ask their questions, focus on building relationships and rely on the Holy Spirit, then lives are changed.
- Week 1 – Thurs 28 April – Is there more to life than this?
- Week 2 – Thurs 5 May – Who is Jesus?
- Week 3 – Thurs 12 May – Why did Jesus die?
- Week 4 – Thurs 19 May – How can we have faith?
- Week 5 – Thurs 26 May – How and why do I pray?
Thursday 2 Jun – No Session (Platinum bank holiday)
- Week 6 – Thurs 9 June – Why and how should I read the Bible?
- Week 7 – Thurs 16 June – How does God guide us?
- Week 8 – Thurs 23 June – The Holy Spirit
- Week 9 – Thurs 30 June – How can I resist evil?
- Week 10 – Thurs 7 July – Why and how should I tell others?
- Week 11 – Thurs 14 July – Does God heal today?
- Week 12 – Thurs 21 Jul – What about the church?
What happens during a typical evening…
- We start at 7-15pm in the Church Lounge with some tea & biscuits (or coffee if you prefer!).
- A short talk usually in the form of a video.
- A discussion where people can ask questions and talk through issues.
- Some reading suggestions for you.