What is Alpha?
The Alpha Course is a series of interactive sessions where anyone can explore life and the Christian faith in a friendly, open and informal environment. The course is particularly suited to those who have completed Discipleship Explored as the next step in their journey, and equally so for people who would not describe themselves as Christians or church-goers. Everyone is welcome and so come along with your friends if you like!
Take a look…
How many weeks does it run for?
In our Trinity version of Alpha there are 11 sessions plus an away day that each look at a different aspect of the Christian faith. After each video/talk, there is a time for discussion in small groups – a place where you can ask questions, delve into different issues and find out what others think.
On Alpha we try to be:
- REAL – Alpha presents the reality of who Jesus is. Our course leaders who run Alpha are real and authentic and this allows the guests to be real themselves. People are welcome to ask questions and look for answers, with no pressure to contribute and no follow up if they don’t come back.
- RELATIONAL – Alpha is based on genuine friendships that are built up over a few weeks and often last for years afterwards.
- RELIANT – On Alpha we are reliant on the Holy Spirit because we realise that it is only God who changes people’s lives; we just introduce Him.
The talks explore the big issues around faith and unpack the basics of Christianity. Probably the most important part is the chance to share thoughts and ideas on the topic, and simply discuss it in a small group. There’s no obligation to say anything and there’s nothing you can’t say (seriously). It’s an opportunity to hear from others and contribute your own perspective in an honest, friendly and open environment.
No one can force anyone to believe anything. What we’ve found over the years, with all of the Trinity courses, is that if we allow people to be themselves and ask their questions, focus on building relationships and rely on the Holy Spirit, then lives are changed.
1. Is There More to Life than This?
2. Who is Jesus?
3. Why Did Jesus Die?
4. How Can I Have Faith?
5. Why and How Do I Pray?
6. Why and How Should I Read the Bible?
7. How Does God Guide us?
Who is the Holy Spirit?
What Does the Holy Spirit Do?
How Can I Be Filled with the Holy Spirit?
8. How Can I Resist Evil?
9. Why and How Should I Tell Others?
10. Does God Heal Today?
11. What about the Church?
What happens during a typical evening…
- We start at 7-15pm in the Church Lounge with some food (usually a soup and a dessert).
- A short talk usually in the form of a video.
- A discussion where people can ask questions and talk through issues.
- Some reading suggestions for you.